Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Old Times

I have rediscovered 80s/90s romantic comedies. You know, the "When Harry Met Sally" genre, which by the way takes home the gold ALWAYS!  The time before technology ruled the world of relationships and people spent real time getting to know who was this person. When we had to be on time for our appointments because we couldn't simply send a text saying we were running behind. We had to wait to tell each other our exciting news because everyone wasn't 100% reachable all the time. Stories were told with hand gestures and facial expressions instead of emoticons and LOLs.  The time of answering machines and hand written snail mail.  There was something beautiful about that. Kids played in the streets, everyone knew their neighbors, and most teens knew what the game kick the can was.


These memories remind me of so many things from the past.  I love vintage furniture and old fabrics. Books and recipes handed down from our grandparents.  Sometimes I just like to wander into an antique or vintage shoppe and get lost in the aisles for a couple hours. Dreaming of how many owners these items have had, what purposes they have served to who, and what each of them meant to someone over the years. I begin to have visions of what they could be in the future, how I could give them life once more and start the next season in this neglected items life. And the inspiration begins.


I see children's hats made out of old curtains. I see vases created from old milk jars. Buttons added to accent handmade headbands.  Rick Rack and thread and lace finally finding a dress to be a part of.  I'll buy that old, out of style pattern and change it up a bit to make it stylish and wearable.  This buckle would look great with that long shirt I've been working on.


So many things that are just waiting at my finger tips for new life and love.



2 comments:

  1. Rachel, this is great! Only I have a hard time reading the font you used, but this is only because of my advanced age. You have a wonderful writing stlye. :)

    ReplyDelete