Sunday, February 10, 2013

To plant or not to plant

Gardening season is fast approaching and I'm starting to get excited. I got my seed cataloguein the mail a week or so ago but, haven't had a chance to look through it yet. Partially because my life has been crazy and partially because I don't want to get too excited.  I know that sounds odd, so let me explain. Last spring, we put in a lot of time and energy and money and finished what the previous tenants had begun. We turned the front yard into a garden. However, we aren't sure what we're doing when our lease is up at the end of July. And around here, August and September are prime harvest months. I'm at least planting things I can harvest before August, but my debate is whether to plant those other things as well. If not for us, then those who might come in after us. But I get so attached to my plants, the food I've been tending, looking forward to for months. It'd be tough to stay focused and give the same care for the plants knowing I wouldn't be the reaper of the harvest. But then if we ended up staying, I don't want ro lose the opportunity to feed my family from our land, to be connected with the earth around us, to get dirt under my nails and share with those around me who don't have time or land to tend on their own.

I think I will plant, holding nothing back, tending both for me and mine as well as for those to come later.

No comments:

Post a Comment